Monday, March 12, 2012

The "Happy 175th Birthday Chicago!" Mix

Wow, it sneaks up on you, doesn't it old girl? One minute you're a makeshift metropolis just making its way in the world, the next you're the fourth most powerful city in the world, blowing out the candles on your 175th birthday cake. Yup, Father Time can be a tricky bastard, you've got to stay on your toes.


I just want you to know that I didn't forget your birthday, I was just busy and I couldn't find uh... internet stamps. The point is, it's the thought that counts and I put a lot into your present. You're a complex city, not easy to pigeonhole and I tried to reflect that here. Sure, there's some outright love songs from Lupe, Frank and others, but there's more than that. I've got radio hits from Power 92 and deconstructionist jams for the XRT crowd. You're getting love from all sides North, West and, of course SOUTH. We've got orchestral folk pop and punk rock polka, country-rock and standards. Most of your major music movements from Chicago blues (and some wankers from London ripping it off), 80's indie & hip-hop. I'll admit that I'm still not strong on my house or industrial music but there's time for that in the next 175 years. I even threw in some instrumentals to say what words couldn't.


Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I think you're special. You're a world-class city without all the pretension that normally implies. Your cuisine is amazing because you don't call it "cuisine", your (metro area) beers are the best in the world and only getting better and you're also pretty good when it comes to art, architecture, music, and parking space retention. In short, the world is a better place because you're here. So Happy Birthday (Belated) 175th Birthday Chicago and remember, you're only as old as you act!


Download The Mix As A .RAR
1. Go-Go Gadget Flow - Lupe Fiasco  Buy The Cool
2. Chicago - Sufjan Stevens  Buy Illinois
3. Lake Shore Drive - Alliotta Haynes Jeremiah  Buy Lake Shore Drive
4. The Night Chicago Died Again - The Minus 5  Buy In Rock
5. Southside (feat. Kanye West & Lupe Fiasco) - Common  Buy Be
6. Born In Chicago [Paul Butterfield Blues Band] - Pixies  Buy Surfer Rosa
7. 2120 South Michigan Avenue - The Rolling Stones  Download The 2120 Sessions
8. The El - Rhett Miller  Buy The Instigator
9. Lake Michigan - Rogue Wave  Buy Descended Like Vultures
10. Gotta Stay Chi - Juice
11. I Miss Chicago Again - The Polkaholics  Buy Wally! A Polka-Rock Opera
12. The Theme From Hot Doug's - bee  Buy The Theme From Hot Doug's [Single]
13. My Kind Of Town - Frank Sinatra  Buy Nothing But The Best
14. My City - Common feat. Malik Yusef  Buy One Day It'll All Make Sense
15. Chicago At Night - Spoon  Buy Girls Can Tell
16. Chicago Seemed Tired Last Night - The Hold Steady  Buy Separation Sunday
17. Early Chicago - The Sea & Cake  Buy Two Gentlemen [EP]
18. Stratford-On-Guy - Liz Phair  Buy Exile In Guyville
19. Via Chicago - Wilco  Buy Summerteeth
20. Homecoming - Kanye West  Buy Graduation
21. Sweet Home Chicago - Robert Johnson  Buy Me & The Devil Blues

No comments:

Post a Comment